NBCU: FAST (Finance ad sales Tracker)
USER EXPERIENCE DESIGN, INTERFACE DESIGN
For too long, the FP&A team at NBCU has had to look through several data sources for a comprehensive view of the money NBCU makes from ad sales across all its properties. The team came to us with the task of creating an unprecedented dashboard to view this info in a clear and navigable way.
Lead user experience designer and only visuals/interface designer.
We met in groups and individually with people from FP&A and Ad Sales to discuss the current modes of acquiring recent ad sales numbers, how the Pacing vs. Budget Excel file and other commonly referred-to platforms were put together, and pain points in the process of looking for and creating visualizations of these numbers for use in reports and presentations. We also began weekly check-in meetings with the Head of Finance Innovation at NBCU, Kayla, who would serve as our main point of contact and finance jargon translator.
The BIG problem:
People can’t find the numbers and information they need in any efficient way, often having to cross-check multiple documents that supposedly have the same info and dig through a massive and cumbersome Excel document (Pacing vs. Budget) with no important information emphasized.
Three Data Sources:
Other Major Pain Points:
- No way to drill down to more granular numbers from an overview
- No holistic view of each property or network
- No way to view historical data or trending forecasts
- Extremely difficult to spot patterns in data without a constantly updating historical view or trending forecast
- There’s a steep learning curve for new employees to understand these documents